2U Lithium Sulphur Battery
“Commercial opportunities for lithium–sulfur (Li–S) are enormous – the lithium ion (Li ion) “family” of technologies, undoubtedly the dominant performance battery technology over the last decade, has forecasted sales of around $100 billion per annum for 2025. As the performance characteristics of Li–S have been increasingly demonstrated and harnessed over the last decade, this had led to significant investment in Li–S to exploit the commercial potential into this enormous market.”
– Mark Wild & Gregory J. Offer, 2019
Li-S batteries meets the market needs in weight, safety, cost temperature tolerance shipment & storage, power characteristics (for commercial applications), environmental friendliness, pressure tolerance and BMS (Battery Management System) control.
2U Li-S Battery has higher capacity, performance and efficiency that surpasses gas engine system therefore all gas vehicles worldwide can be converted into electric vehicles with this technology because of below factors. This energy can also replace Lithium Ion battery for significantly lower cost and pollution. Hence 2U Li-S battery technologies contributes to global energy and climate change problem. We are researching and developing below characteristics for 2U Li-S batteries.
- High energy density, where the battery weight is equivalent to the weight of engine, fuel tank and exhaust pipe of a gasoline vehicle combined, a single charge can cover over 1000 km;
- Can be charged and discharged at high electrical power;
- The ex-factory price of EV does not exceed gasoline vehicle;
- Li-S battery is non-combustible, is safe and reliable;
- Raw materials can be supplied for hundreds of years and are easy to acquire;
- Compatible with traditional vehicle production equipment;
- 2U Li-S battery is clean and recyclable.
The company completes its research and development on high energy density stability, separators, separator coating and large-scale Li-S battery during 2016-2019. A pilot Li-S battery is tested by SGS. The test result shows that, if fully commercialised, a single charge could potentially reach up to 2,000 km range based on the energy density calculation. Brighsun’s Li-S battery material filed for Australia and international patent after in after the SGS result.